Monday, December 17, 2012

Reasonably, Healthy Eating During the Holidays


 
For me and my family the holidays are all about the food, Getting together with family and friends and eating, that’s how it’s always been. So as much as I like to keep healthy eating habits, this time of year is rough. Luckily I have a few tricks to keep the junk to a minimum without denying myself a few treats. Here they are.

Going out later in the day? Eat healthy all day before you go out and have something just before you leave. Load up on fresh fruit and veggies, have some salad something fresh and homemade, so when you go out food is not the only thing on your mind. Also if you are having cocktails your tummy is ready for them.

Got a pot luck? Bring your favorite healthy dish, if it’s something you love to eat ,you are more likely to eat that instead of something you might regret later. Eat it before you have anything else to take the edge off your appetite and just sample whatever else you may want..
 The picture on the left is Quinoa -Stuffed Peppers ( recipe from Vegetarian Times) We took this to a family party, everyone loved it.

Having people over for dinner or a party? Plan a healthy meal and find the less sugar lower fat recipes, serve salad and vegetables with your meal. Cut up fresh fruit and veggies and serve lower fat dips like hummus for the veggies and yogurt dip for the fruit. I saw a recipe for a peanut butter yogurt dip on pinterest, I think I may make. Fresh Salsa or guacamole you find in the produce isle or make from scratch are healthy and taste great. Carrot chips, fresh raw carrots ,crinkle cut like potato chips go well with dip.Put these out instead of chips,it's the perfect healthy replacment.

I find it helpful to add in healthy food instead of taking away less healthy food. It keeps you from feeling deprived and can help to avoid binging, which is what seems to happen to me when I try not to have anything. I avoid eating it all day then I break, and look out cause I’m not stopping, no good.
Well that’s my strategy for reasonably healthy holiday eating. Having my food and eating it too.
Happy Holiday Eating to All !

 

No comments:

Post a Comment